In order to attain good long-term codependency recovery it is necessary to break a few patterns.
The support group of Al-Anon is a great place for family members and friends of alcoholics to find others who have lived through the shame and degradation of having an alcoholic spouse, child, grandparent/child or friend or other relative.
Other programs like Narcotics Anonymous and Gamblers Anonymous have corresponding programs that allow the spouse, relative or friend of the specific addict to learn about how to relate within the addiction cycle
Cycle of Codependency
The cycle of Codependency with alcoholics or any other type of addict requires three main people/groups of people:
- The Enablers:
- those who allow /excuse/ finance/ bailout the alcoholic/addict.
- The Persecutors:
- those who stir up the pot in order to put the alcoholic/addict on the defense and look for a way out of the pain.
- The Victims:
- those who wallow in the excuse that someone is abusing/picking on/insulting/not recognizing their good qualities.
Both the alcoholic/addict, the enablers, the persecutors and the victims occupy all these roles at various times and to varying degrees – the fact that all persons switch roles is why this is called – Codependency with alcoholics.
Codependency Recovery Plan Pointers
- The objective is very clear and achievable – to stop over-reacting for one day at a time.
- The time frame is also very clear – one 24 hour time period.
- The support system is very effective and functional and includes these therapeutic tools.
The Dean of Addictionz
Working the Solution with Multiple and Addicts of all types
- 36 Years Personal Recovery Experience in several Self Help Programs
- Addiction Recovery Outreach Trustee, NW Region Webmaster, Newsletter Editor and contributor for various Recovery Associations Publications
- Published in several major recovery publications: AA Grapevine, Al-Anon Forum, Overeaters Anonymous “Voices of Recovery” and “Lifeline”, Gamblers Anonymous “Bulletin” &”Toastmaster” Magazine
- This AddictionZ.com website is featured in Melody Beattie’s current “Codependent no More Workbook”
- Over 45 years successful contracting business experience working with over 2000 employees and Penitentiary halfway house temporary staff.
- Sponsoring many recovering multiple addicts with long-term good results
- Recovery weekend workshop leader in Western Canada & US Pacific NW
- Author “You Can’t Unscrew Somebody Workbook” for relationship makeovers
- Author “Sex Inventory Workbook” for sex issues
- Author “Drunk Driving Workbook” for safety
- Author “Breaking The Cycle of Gambling Addiction” arrest the money drain!
- Author “Breaking the Cycle of Compulsive Overeating” get healthy!
Here is a thought!
Why don’t you book your sober recovery style vacation with us in beautiful downtown Victoria BC Canada at our Gingerbread Cottage Bed and Breakfast. Over the years we have had lots of therapists, recovering addicts and health professionals stay at our idyllic B&B steps from the Salish Sea. Oh and we have gourmet breakfasts too! Vanessa makes a fantastic Austrian Apple Strudel! see more on our B&B website…
Please leave your comments below, and I will be sure to answer them. If you want one of the publications but truly cannot afford it leave a comment with your email address and I’ll send you a free one…
This website is about recovery – not making money – but it wouldn’t hurt to pay a few web hosting charges if you decided to visit one of the sponsors ads… I have kept outside ads to a minimum so it’s not so frustrating to read. Hate those pages with an ad between every paragraph.
Have a great One Day at a Time! Dean 🙂