Compulsive disorder can be similar to an addiction in that it is a preoccupations with some form of behavior. Actually when looked at very closely they are usually associated with some form of addiction at the bottom of it all. The drug in question is usually not very obvious and could be ingested or self-produced or a combination of both.
- An example of this is sugar, a confection or flavoring when eaten, but transforms to a compound very close to alcohol in the body. Wheat and starches also transform to sugar in the body. Who ever heard of a potato addiction, but it is common to gain a soothing feeling from a slice of bread or a potato chip, and, who can ever eat just one potato chip?
Compulsive Disorder may often Produce Adrenalin
Another example of a drug being self-produced is gambling. Gambling produces a high because of the self-produced adrenalin involved in it and when you get high, of course you get a corresponding withdrawal or a low feeling.
Gambling Compulsive Disorder
- The gambler’s high comes from the anticipation not the actual win or the loss, however a big win will produce a bigger high and since adrenalin is both a fight or flight drug so will a loss. When the corresponding downturn arrives in the gamblers emotional feelings, which is usually very soon, the urge to return is overwhelming because they need more of their own adrenalin to level out. When that need is repetitive it becomes series of compulsions.
Sex Compulsive Disorder
- Sex also produces feel good drugs adrenalin and endorphins that are in the body already. While this is a healthy activity in most cases, in some cases well-meaning folks get addicted to these self-produced drugs just like gamblers. Thus when the low after the high occurs the person unwittingly wants more adrenalin /endorphins are needed by the chemical center in the body and more.
- When when the need for sex turns into an addiction to self-produced adrenalin, then problems occur in relationships and possible illegal events.
- As the largely unknown addiction to self-produced adrenalin progresses the addicted individual develops a tolerance to the adrenalin. This requires a greater sexual event or risk to be taken to achieve the same high that was once produced by ordinary healthy sex.
- We have all watched CSI so i doubt that I need to elaborate on what happens to folks with extreme sexual compulsions.
Criminal Compulsive Disorder
- Crime also produces extreme adrenalin, just ask any kid that just stole a chocolate bar how it feels. When that behavior is repeated the need for the adrenalin is increased but as in any drug addiction the tolerance to the drug is also increased so a larger crime or risk is needed to achieve the same high.
- Much like an alcoholic who develops the ability to consume an uncommonly large amount of alcohol at some point in the progression of his addiction
Overeating Compulsive Disorder
- This compulsion is actually usually a sugar addiction of some sort or an addiction to chemicals found in various foods or processed foods.
A compulsive disorder is often hard to discover because the individual does not really see their return to their compulsive adrenalin producing behavior as a need for more adrenalin or endorphins. They merely see it as a personal behavioral issue and develop the ability to dissociate from their questionable activities.
The Dean of Addictionz
Working the Solution with Multiple and Addicts of all types
- 36 Years Personal Recovery Experience in several Self Help Programs
- Addiction Recovery Outreach Trustee, NW Region Webmaster, Newsletter Editor and contributor for various Recovery Associations Publications
- Published in several major recovery publications: AA Grapevine, Al-Anon Forum, Overeaters Anonymous “Voices of Recovery” and “Lifeline”, Gamblers Anonymous “Bulletin” &”Toastmaster” Magazine
- This AddictionZ.com website is featured in Melody Beattie’s current “Codependent no More Workbook”
- Over 45 years successful contracting business experience working with over 2000 employees and Penitentiary halfway house temporary staff.
- Sponsoring many recovering multiple addicts with long-term good results
- Recovery weekend workshop leader in Western Canada & US Pacific NW
- Author “You Can’t Unscrew Somebody Workbook” for relationship makeovers
- Author “Sex Inventory Workbook” for sex issues
- Author “Drunk Driving Workbook” for safety
- Author “Breaking The Cycle of Gambling Addiction” arrest the money drain!
- Author “Breaking the Cycle of Compulsive Overeating” get healthy!
Here is a thought!
Why don’t you book your sober recovery style vacation with us in beautiful downtown Victoria BC Canada at our Gingerbread Cottage Bed and Breakfast. Over the years we have had lots of therapists, recovering addicts and health professionals stay at our idyllic B&B steps from the Salish Sea. Oh and we have gourmet breakfasts too! Vanessa makes a fantastic Austrian Apple Strudel! see more on our B&B website…
Please leave your comments below, and I will be sure to answer them. If you want one of the publications but truly cannot afford it leave a comment with your email address and I’ll send you a free one…
This website is about recovery – not making money – but it wouldn’t hurt to pay a few web hosting charges if you decided to visit one of the sponsors ads… I have kept outside ads to a minimum so it’s not so frustrating to read. Hate those pages with an ad between every paragraph.
Have a great One Day at a Time! Dean 🙂